Elections and Multicultural Voters – Massively important in the U.S.
Working with multicultural marketing, of course I believe that multicultural voters are important. BUT, are they important to your campaign, or not. If so, then how important, and do you have the resources to effectively reach your core constituency.
For some quick hits you can visit this Infographic on Multicultural Voters. For a few states here are some key multicultural segments to consider.
Taking a look at just a few states and which groups may play a key role.
- California: U.S. Hispanic, Asian American segments are critical and rapidly growing.
- Texas: Major U.S. Hispanic population deriving from Mexico / Central America
- Florida: Another major Latino population yet different from the Southwest with major communities from the Caribbean, Colombia, Venezuela and South America.
- New York: by definition – is extensively multicultural in/near New York City
- Michigan: While on a statewide level, percentages are small, key centers for Hispanic (Grand Rapids) and Arab American (Dearborn) can play a pivotal role.
For marketers – specifically in the U.S. – Why do they matter and how can you reach them.
Obviously for marketers, the ability to get your brand message across in a relevant way to all segments of the population is important, but there are also significant limitations on resources such as the almighty BUDGET.
Infographic Impact of Multicultural Voters
While it is easy to say that you don’t have the resources to reach these segments, there are many ways to include these audiences without great cost. In California & Texas, while there are benefits to having in-language Spanish outreach, it is possible to get your message to the majority of these groups in English. For Asian American, not many have resources to translate into Vietnamese, Korean, Hmong, Filipino etc., but this should not deter marketers from considering how to reach these groups in English.
Resources and results dictate much of the decision around marketing platforms, however many times there is complacency that all markets are being reached through general market campaigns..
While Subway may have mass appeal and a picture of a sandwich will do, for political candidates, health insurance, and other government outreach programs these segments are key. Here are some quick resources to find out more about reaching these key multicultural markets..
Infographic: Multicultural Voters
Infographic: Multicultural Marketing Segments
Alcance Media Group : a network that helps advertisers and their brands, campaigns, & agencies reach multicultural segments in the United States, Canada and internationally.